Temple’s Vandiver School Building to Receive Historic Marker
Another Temple landmark is set to receive a historic marker from the Temple Historic Preservation Committee.
The former Vandiver School building at 616 North 11th Street will receive the marker during a ceremony Friday, December 14 beginning at 3 PM.
According to Jonathan Logue with the City of Temple, the original school building at the site was built in 1891 and called the Temple Ward School. In 1896, a six-room stone structure replaced the Ward School at a (then) whopping price of $6,500.
In 1904, the building was renamed to the Vandiver School to honor Bell County education M.V. Vandiver. In 1928, the stone building was demolished and replaced with the building that stands today.
According to the Holy Trinity Catholic High School website, the building hosted HTCH classes from 2001 to 2004.
In 2016, Temple ISD sold the Vandiver building, and it's now home to Helping Hands and their day center for adults with special needs.
Back in August, the Temple Historic Preservation Committee awarded a historic marker to the old King's Daughters Hospital building at 304 South 22nd Street, which has been home to Central Counties Services for 43 years.
The Historic Marker Program was designed to recognize historically significant structures and organizations within the city of Temple while encouraging preservation and restoration.
In order for a property or organization to be considered for a Temple Historic Marker, the property owner must fill out an application and submit it with supporting documentation to the Historic Preservation Committee.
Anyone interested in learning more about Central Counties Services or the Temple Historic Marker Program is encouraged to attend.
Please RSVP by calling the Temple Visitor Center at (254) 298-5900.