Dog Owners Beware Of Deadly Mushrooms In Our Area
The heavy rain of late has caused some major flooding-related problems across the state. With the continuous soggy conditions, dog owners should be on the lookout for potentially toxic mushrooms popping up all around.
The amount of rain during this time of year provides the perfect conditions for fungi to grow across the area. Dogs will naturally view mushrooms as a snack, and many have the potential to be fatal.
Not all toadstools are toxic, but it can be tricky to identify which ones are so it's best to remove all on your property. Also be sure to keep an eye four-legged friend when they're outdoors and keep them out of reach of potentially poisonous mushrooms when taking a walk.
Petmd.com recommends watching for these signs if you suspect your pup has eaten a harmful mushroom:
- Abdominal pain
- Yellowing of the skin (jaundice)
- Uncoordinated movements
- Excessive drooling (ptyalism)
If you believe your pet has consumed a mushroom, make sure you seek medical treatment immediately.