Suge Knight’s Lawyer Says His Client Is Treated Poorly in Jail Because of His Fame
At press time, Suge Knight has been behind bars for almost exactly one year. The bodyguard-turned-CEO who was booked last January after allegedly hitting two men with his car, killing one, has remained in jail in lieu of a $10.5 million bond agreement. Now Knight's lawyer is arguing that that extended incarceration, and the conditions thereof, are unjust.
Speaking to TheWrap, Thomas Mesereau, the lawyer who previously defended Michael Jackson against child molestation charges in 2005, says Knight "should be at home and he should have been granted reasonable bail, like everybody else.” He adds, "This case is going forward because of who he is, not because of anything he did that was wrong.”
Knight has pleaded not guilty to murder and attempted murder charges stemming from a January 2015 incident in which he allegedly rammed his car into two men in the parking lot of a Los Angeles restaurant. The dispute reportedly began on the set of Straight Outta Compton, the N.W.A. biopic in which Knight is portrayed as a crooked, violent henchman. His trial is slated to begin Feb. 26.
The Death Row Records founder's bail was initially set at $25 million, an amount that caused Knight to collapse in the courtroom. Despite its more-than-50-percent reduction, he's failed or declined to pay it, and remains in a county jail where Mesereau claims he's being treated worse than inmates at Guantanamo Bay. Knight is currently housed at the Men’s Central Jail in Los Angeles, a county-run facility.
See Best Rap Performance Nominees & Winners at the Grammys Over the Years