BBQ Smoker Starts House Fire in Temple
A Temple home was destroyed late Friday night by a fire started by an unattended BBQ smoker.
Temple Fire & Rescue crews were dispatched to the 1300 block of Osage at 11:57 p.m. When they arrived, they saw heavy smoke billowing from the house. Firefighters entered the home to try locating the fire, but retreated after flames began spreading through the house. The fire was extinguished from the outside and the scene was cleared shortly after 4:30 a.m.
Investigators determined that the blaze was started by an unattended BBQ smoker housed in a detached building in the back yard. Fire from the building quickly spread to the home, and a neighbor was able to alert the residents. They escaped safely and are staying with family.
Firefighters recommend keeping BBQ grills and smokers at least 10 feet away from buildings and never leaving them unattended. Coals should be monitored while cooling, and once cool, should be disposed of in a metal container.